I’ve talked about conditioning numerous times here, here, here, here, and here. I talk about it a lot because I find it fascinating, but if you show dogs then you should also care about simply because conditioning is a crucial component of showring prep: conditioning can be the difference between winning and losing.
In my previous posts I got down into the nitty gritty details, but there’s a much easier way. Simply follow the Couch to 5K running program with your dog! This is what I did with Wally and it worked perfectly for us. Seeing the changes in his muscling convinced me that conditioning is greater than feeding tons of food. Wally is a poor eater but in spite of this he had great fill through the flanks when we were doing C25K.
Here’s why you may want to try it:
- The program is already scaled for a gradual increase in difficulty
- It’s easy to keep your dog in a proper gait speed by adjusting your own running speed
- It only takes 45min, three days a week
- You could do it from a bike or with your dog on a treadmill (prepare him appropriately of course)
- You’ll be in better condition to gait your dog at the appropriate speed
** Use at your own risk and consult with your veterinarian (and your doctor) before attempting. LBD and Cassie Abbott are not medically trained and are not responsible for how you use this information or the results of use. **